Quote from The Gnostic Gospels of Jesus

The Gnostic Gospels of Jesus: The Definitive Collection of Mystical Gospels and Secret Books about Jesus of Nazareth

Edited and translated by Marvin Meyer

HarperCollins Publisher, New York, New York      ©2005      368 pp.


". . . Since you are to be called my brother, it is not fitting for you to be ignorant of yourself. And I know that you have understood, for already you have understood that I am the knowledge of truth. So while you are walking with me, though you do lack understanding, already you have obtained knowledge and you will be called one who knows himself.  For those who have not known themselves have known nothing, but those who have known themselves already have acquired knowledge about the depth of the universe. So then, my brother Thomas, you have seen what is hidden from people, what they stumble against in their ignorance.

Thomas said to the master, 'That is why I beg you to tell me what I ask before your ascension. When I hear it from you about what is hidden, I can speak of it. And it is clear to me that the truth is difficult to accomplish before people.'

The savior answered and said, 'If what is visible to you is obscure to you, how can you comprehend what is invisible? If deeds of truth visible in the world are difficult for you to accomplish, how will you accomplish things of the exalted majesty and fullness which are invisible? How will you be called workers? You are beginners and have not attained the greatness of perfection.'

Thomas answered and said to the savior, 'Tell us about these things that you say are invisible and hidden from us.' "

From The Book Of Thomas or The Contender Writing to the Perfect (NHC 11,7)  (pp. 209-210)


Thank you Kathy H. for the gift of this book!

-- submitted by Jennifer Knight


To visit the blog and see more reviews and quotes from books in the collection of Center for Sacred Sciences' Library, click here https://centerforsacredscienceslibrary.blogspot.com