Hollyhock Cooks

Hollyhock Cooks: Food to Nourish Body, Mind and Soil   

by Linda Solomon and Moreka Jolar

New Society Publishers, Gabriola Island, British Columbia, Canada    © 2003    224 pp.

My mom was a meat, potatoes and salad cook. Then I spent most of my adult life living, working and eating with a volunteer organization in U.S. cities and in villages in Africa and India. So when I spent a week on retreat at Hollyhock (a spiritual retreat center) some time later, I was in culinary heaven. Much of their delicious food comes from their big, organic garden out back and from the sea that surrounds Cortez Island. Hollyhock is sacred ground where retreats are held year round, and the food is prepared with much love. So great to now have a cookbook!

Hollyhock Cooks: Food to Nourish Body, Mind and Soil includes over 300 yummy, creative recipes. In the healthy tradition of Diet for a Small Planet or the Moosewood Cookbook, HC also includes many seafood recipes, but no fowl or red meat. My favorites include Cauliflower & Quinoa Bake (with feta), Salmon Polenta Casserole, and Hollyhock Yeast Dressing. Next on my list are Black Bean Soup with Chipotle and Orange, Cod Dijonnaise, and Thai Sweet Potato Soup. This cookbook meets my primary criteria: recipes are especially tasty and easy to make.

-- reviewed by Sharry Lachman

To visit the blog and see more reviews and quotes from books in the collection of Center for Sacred Sciences' Library, click here https://centerforsacredscienceslibrary.blogspot.com