Quote from The Principles of Sufism

The Principles of Sufism

by Aisha al-Bauniyyah, translated by Th. Emil Homerin

New York University Press, New York, NY      © 2016       139 pp.


From the Introduction: 'A'ishah al-Ba'uniyyah (d. 923 / 1517 a.d.) was an exceptional Muslim scholar. She was a mystic, and a prolific poet and writer, composing more works in Arabic than any other woman prior to the twentieth century. In her writings, 'A'ishah often speaks of her abiding love for God and his prophet Muhammad, and her quest for mystical union. These concerns are central to The Principles of Sufism, a mystical guide book that 'A'ishah compiled to help others on this spiritual path.   (p. xix)



The Third Principle: Remembrance (Dhikr)

3.1  God the Exalted has said, 'Therefore, remember Me, and I will remember you.'

3.2  Al-Qushayri (may God be pleased with him) writes:
The way for the literalists is: 'Therefore remember Me' with proper conduct, and 'I will remember you' with miracles. But for the folk seeking mystical allusions, the way is: 'So remember Me' by leaving everything else, 'and I will remember you' by resurrecting you in My reality after your annihilation from yourselves.  It is said, 'Therefore remember Me' content with Me without need of My grace and favors, 'and I will remember you' satisfied with you without your actions.  It is said, 'Therefore remember Me' recalling My remembrance on your behalf.  For were it not for My Prior remembrance of you, you would have no subsequent remembrance.  It is said, 'Therefore remember Me' by severing attachments, 'and I will remember you' to whomever I address . . .  It is said, 'Therefore remember Me' with the tongue, 'and I will remember you' in the heart.  (p. 38)

-- submitted by Jennifer Knight

To visit the blog and see more reviews and quotes from books in the collection of Center for Sacred Sciences' Library, click here https://centerforsacredscienceslibrary.blogspot.com