The Dance of the Dissident Daughter

The Dance of the Dissident Daughter           

by Sue Monk Kidd

Harper Collins, San Francisco, California    © 2002   228 pp.


This amazing author of The Secret Life of Bees takes us in this memoir on her very personal journey of awakening. She tells us that after spending the first 30+ years of her life doing “everything she should have been doing,” she collided with the patriarchy “…within my culture, my church, my faith tradition, my marriage, and also within myself.”

Knowing her quest is one every woman on a spiritual path has to take, she declares, “In these pages I’ve tried to tell you about the deep and immense journey a woman makes as she searches for and finds a feminine spirituality that affirms her life. It’s about the quest for the female soul, the missing Divine Feminine, and the wholeness women have lost within patriarchy. It’s also about the fear, anger, pain, questions, healing, transformation, bliss, power, and freedom that come with such journeys.”

I found Kidd’s fierce and extensive search for her own authenticity and spiritual truth to be very bold and inspiring.

-- reviewed by Sharry Lachman

To visit the blog and see more reviews and quotes from books in the collection of Center for Sacred Sciences' Library, click here https://centerforsacredscienceslibrary.blogspot.com