Quote from Spiritual Gems of Islam (New Book)

Spiritual Gems of Islam

by Imam Jamal Rahman
Skylight Paths Publishing, Woodstock, Vermont   © 2013   256 pp.


Imam Rahman quotes from the Qur'an, Hadith, Rumi and other Muslim and Sufi sources both ancient and contemporary in his book Spiritual Gems of Islam. He follows the quotes with insights, further teaching stories and practical practices. Looks to be a sweet read.

"I was a secret treasure and I longed to be known (Hadith Qudsi). Rumi, the beloved poet and mystic from thirteenth century Persia, says that we arrive on Earth a little bit 'tipsy.' Mullah Nasruddin, the comedic antihero of countless teaching stories, would agree.  In one of these stories, the Mullah spends a long evening at the local tavern. Finally, in the early hours of morning, he stumbles out of the tavern intoxicated and walks the streets aimlessly. A policeman accosts him and asks, 'What are you doing here at this hour? Who are you? Where did you come from? And where are you going?' The Mullah replies, 'Sir, if I knew the answers to all those questions, I'd be home already!' "  p. 15

Something missing in my heart tonight
Has made my eyes so soft,
My voice so tender
My need for God Absolutely clear.
Hafiz,  p. 19