The Practice of the Presence of God

The Practice of the Presence of God 

by Brother Lawrence

Spire Books, Old Tappan, New Jersey   © 1958   63 pp.


First written down and compiled in 1666, this tiny volume of 63 pages recounts Brother Lawrence’s simple approach to remaining continually in God’s presence. His is a self-effacing, if not self-negating, attitude. It expresses a selflessness created by God, as God fills this humble and empty self with his love and grace: “…when I fail in my duty, I readily acknowledge it, saying, I am used to do so: I shall never do otherwise if I am left to myself. If I fail not, then I give God thanks, acknowledging that the strength comes from Him.” (p.19)

This book is a classic must-read for those who recognize the devotional aspect of their path. Readers who can see past Brother Lawrence’s somewhat ornate sentences will find a gem of the devotional life, the same message of humble love
shining from many facets.


-- reviewed by Wesley Lachman


To visit the blog and see more reviews and quotes from books in the collection of Center for Sacred Sciences' Library click here https://centerforsacredscienceslibrary.blogspot.com