Quote from Living More with Less

Living More with Less

by Doris Janzen Longacre

Herald Press, Scottdale, Pennsylvania, 1980           294 pages 


In 1952 I was studying the Hindi language with my teacher, Panditji. From his philosophic mind, which probed the meaning of events and circumstances, I learned more than Hindi.

I especially remember one lesson. It was Christmastime and as I awaited the arrival of Panditji, I quickly opened stacks of delightful cards, discarding the envelopes in the wastebasket. When Panditji entered the room, he sat down soberly and studied the situation. Then he solemnly scolded me in perfect English with these words, “The reverberation of this wasteful act will be felt around the world.”

Stunned, I asked, “What do you mean, Panditji?” “Those envelopes,” he said, pointing to the wastebasket. “You could write on the inside of them.”

Chagrined, I apologized and began taking them out of the basket. He carefully helped me, almost caressing each one. For every Hindi lesson he taught thereafter, I took notes on the back of an envelope. Our class also began sharing envelopes with his growing family, for he could not afford tablets for his children. Today I still carefully save paper in my home and office. (p. 22)

-- quote submitted by Barb D.

To visit the blog and see more reviews and quotes from books in the collection of Center for Sacred Sciences' Library, click here https://centerforsacredscienceslibrary.blogspot.com