Quote from Ink of Light

Ink of Light 

by Katherine Branning

Fons Vitae, Louisville, Kentucky, 2018        174 pages 

However, it was not easy for me to let go of my Catholic upbringing. I still attended mass, but continued to question the dogma of the Church, now enriched with a critical and ever-expanding eye, thanks to my studies of other religious traditions. I had studied enough history to know, for example, that the first known texts of the Evangelists dated from the 4th century and that they were translations, not the original words of Jesus. I had learned, too, from my studies of Ancient Greek that there could be a significant difference between a Greek phrase and a phrase coming from a Semitic language. The question of the veracity of translations and the challenge of Babel began to intrigue me. I suppose the translation point in the New Testament that bothered me the most was the rendering of the Aramaic words of Jesus, “I am the son of Man, and the servant of God” into Greek as “I am the son of God”. This was not the same thing at all, and, from this, the prophetic voice of the man Jesus had become transformed into the Christ the Lord of the Catholic Church, which was again, not the same thing at all. All this began to seem like a manipulation and it became increasingly difficult for me to accept. I wished that my grandmother were there to speak to me about the Protestant faith in which she was raised, so much more direct and pure than the Catholic one, but she was no longer here. (pp. 30-31)

-- quote submitted by Oriana K. H.

To visit the blog and see more reviews and quotes from books in the collection of Center for Sacred Sciences' Library, click here https://centerforsacredscienceslibrary.blogspot.com